Chocolate and Vanilla Swirl Cookies
These are very fun cookies to make (and to look at!), but before you get started, a quick word: you have to freeze the dough for 3 hours total. Just a warning to help you plan better!
Prep time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Total: 3 hours 38 minutes
- ½ cup margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons liquid egg substitute
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup skim milk, warmed to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cooking spray
Your how to guide to making them:
- Cream margarine, sugar, vanilla, and egg substitute.
- Add flour, baking powder, and 3 tablespoons of the milk. Stir to thoroughly mix.
- Divide dough into 2 parts.
- Add cocoa to one part, stirring until well blended.
- Add vanilla extract to the other half.
- Chill both halves for at least 1 hour.
- Working on a floured surface, roll out each part to a rectangle about 3 inches wide and 18 inches long. Place chocolate part on top of white part, pressing together tightly with a rolling pin.
- Brush the chocolate dough with remaining tablespoon of milk. Roll up like a jelly roll to make a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap in waxed paper and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- When you're getting ready to bake these: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Slice cookies 1/8 inch thick. Place on a no-nstick cookie sheet that has been lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 8 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.